SDG Impact Accelerator Projects Assistant (PA) – United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) – Ankara.
The “SDG Impact Accelerator (SDGia)” initiative of the Government of Turkey aimed to accelerate “systems entrepreneurs” for market-creating innovations. The SDG IA consists of (a) Systems Lab to provide access to insights and information, in particular through human-centered design techniques and systems tools, and a focus on specific challenges; (b) an Accelerator with a cohort structure to bring different stakeholders together around specific challenges and provide challenge-focused – instead of generic – acceleration services towards systems change through lean enterprise methods; and (c) the Impact Investment Fund to provide its alumni with direct access to flexible funding to scale-up.
In this framework, “Support to the Piloting Phase of SDG Impact Accelerator Project” tested the recommendations of the “SDG Impact Accelerator Feasibility Report” that was carried out as a joint initiative of the Government of Turkey and UNDP. The project piloted areas that have been identified in the feasibility report including: i) the design and implementation of new non-sewage portable toilets and sanitation systems; and ii) the development of a digital identification system. Both pilots have a specific objective to benefit both refugees and host communities. By testing the assumptions indicated in the feasibility study, it aims to enable key functions of the SDG IA and build critically enabling functions to have an impact in Turkey to serve refugees and other vulnerable groups, both in Turkey and abroad.
As the implementation of the above-mentioned project continues, “Support to the Piloting Phase of SDG Impact Accelerator Project Phase II” is launched. The overall objective of the project is to replicate SDG Impact Accelerator Initiative which was first tested in 2019 under the leadership of Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and UNDP in collaboration of strong Government, UN and private sector partners besides Bill Melinda Gates Foundation and Qatar Development Fund. With the strong implementation experience gained in the first phase, UNDP CO will be executing agency having a partnership with MFA and UN Technology Bank for LDCs to benefit her expertise and outreach.
The Project is replicating the accelerator program in Bangladesh and Uganda with corresponding priority challenge areas selected as financial inclusion for Bangladesh, and digital agriculture for Uganda.
The Project Assistant (PA), in general, will provide administrative inputs on both phases of SDGia Support to Piloting Phase of SDG Impact Accelerator Projects’ activities, provide implementation support services, ensures administration and implementation support of the operational strategies focusing on achievement of the results.
Objectives of the Assignment
Under the supervision of the Project /Projects Manager, the Project Assistant (PA) is responsible for assisting in ensuring efficiency of implementation and operational consistency of projects.
Under the guidance of Project Manager (and Portfolio Administrator when needed), s/he will contribute to ensure that project delivery strategies, operational plans and budgets are formulated, and implementation processes carried out according to UNDP´s rules and policies and CO procedures. Project Assistant will support the Project Manager in order to ensure that HR and financial management processes are carried out in a timely and accurate manner according to UNDP rules and regulations. The Project Assistant will be responsible for day to day Projects’ administrative support including financial, HR, procurement issues and providing support to the preparation of required documentation and any administrative activities that Project Manager and/or Portfolio Administrator may require.
The Project Assistant works in a close collaboration with the staff of the Project Services Centre (PSC) to expedite project implementation and with the Operation’s staff to seek guidance and solve implementation bottlenecks.
The Project Assistant will perform the following duties in accordance with UNDP policy and procedures, including procurement regulation but not limited to:
Assists procurement processes for projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to preparation of procurement plans for the projects and their implementation monitoring,
- Support to elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies,
- Review procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs (ITB, RFP, EOI) and participate in their evaluation according to project in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations,
- Prepare, review, revise and amend as appropriate the procurement processes.
- Assist Procurement Officer to set up and maintain an effective monitoring and recording system on procurement.
Assists administration and implementation of the operational strategies and effective administrative, financial control in the Projects, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to ensure full compliance of administrative issues with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system;
- Review of travel authorizations, documentation, payments
- Organization of travel including purchase of tickets, DSA calculation, conference facilities arrangements; when necessary.
- Assisting team members, experts and consultants on travel and logistics matters;
- Maintain administrative control records such as commitments and expenditures;
- Review verification and reconciliation of a variety of data and reports ensuring accuracy and conformance with administrative rules and regulations
- Analysis of results and initiation of corrective actions when necessary
- Control and assist analysing of accounts;
- Monitoring and controlling of the resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations
- Assist to the Portfolio Administrator in the preparation of budget, audit and other reports.
Ensures administration and implementation of HR strategies and policies, adapts processes and procedures, effective administration of human resources focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR recording and reporting systems with UN rules and regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control framework, proper functioning of the HR management system;
- Assist in the preliminary screening of candidates according to selection criteria and in the preparation of final evaluation tables. Prepare minutes and reports related to the selection committee’s recommendations. Maintaining electronic records and hardcopy files of such documentation for project auditing purposes,
- Monitor the contractual status of project personnel and advise on timely action required for contract extension or renewal.
- Maintain a separate staffing list which could be used as a monitoring tool
- Ensure that performance Evaluations are prepared in a timely manner.
Ensures proper control of Projects’ Assets focusing on achievement of the following results
- Assist in coordination of assets management for the projects, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports, coordination of physical verification of inventory items;
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.